Originally built as a girl’s school circa 1861, later used as a tax office and YMCA amongst other things.
Bought by the Bowie family in 1934 and ran ever since as a hotel.
In 1950, James Bowie was granted a licence to sell alcohol.
(photo L C C)

The main entrance to the hotel is in New Walk but the bar fronts De Montfort Street. The hotel is now called the Belmont House Hotel.
The bar has had a few name changes, most with family connections such as Jamies’ Bar, Olive’s Bar, Bruno’s Bar, Bowie’s Bar and Cherry’s Bar.
In 1971, the bar was opened as a Parisian style, (below), far ahead of its time as many continental café bars were not to come into fashion until the 1990s.



