BELL – BULLS HEAD, 6 HARCOURT STREET

Listed in a directory in 1846 when James Thompson was licensee of this beerhouse..

Harcourt Street, off Archdeacon Lane (Vaughn Way). The Pineapple PH stood on the corner.

In May 1851, two men were charged and fined for assaulting Sarah Larrad, landlady of the Bell beer house Harcourt Street, by knocking her down when refused drinks after time.

By 1856, known as Bulls Head, when Police entered after midnight to find eight men still drinking. John Yates, victualler, was fined 20/-. Benjamin White listed as licensee c1860.

In 1862, William Cornell, who also brewed here, was charged with a similar offence to Yates.  A year later, in December 1863, Cornell was declared bankrupt.

Other landlords included William Jennings, 1859; John Greenwood, 1862 Benjamin White. 1867 Henry Monk, 1869; John Gist, 1869; Thomas Bachelor, 1870; Alf Brown, 1874; Thos or John Cooper, 1875; Charles Collings, 1881; George Gask, the same year; 1892 Charles Langton. 1900 William Grainger.

January 1894, saw the death of Fred Spencer, 32, a Framework Knitter, after a supper of bread, cheese and ale he retired for the night.  He was sleeping with another framework knitter, Joseph Hallam. Joseph recounted that as he was about to go to sleep he heard a gurgling sound come from Fred’s throat. Joe fetched the landlord and sent for the doctor, but by the time they had arrived Fred had died. 

H H Parry Brewery were the owners of the Bulls Head. They had traded from Christow St and Cank St Leicester and Langham in Rutland, with offices in Humberstone Gate and Castle St. Later to become Ruddles Brewery after Henry Harrison Parry died c1909, George Ruddle who had been his manager bought the business.

The Bulls Head closed as a beer house 10th Feb 1909. Licence surrendered in exchange for new off licence granted to George Price on Ross Walk. William Grainger the last licensee.

Leave a Reply