Only reference thus known is of George or Joseph Frith who kept the beerhouse, circa 1830s – 40s. In 1839, … More
Category: Closed Pubs
MANSFIELD HEAD, MANSFIELD STREET/Sandacre St.
Also known as the Mansfield Arms – sometime listed as 2 Sandacre Street and established circa 1820s. Looking down Mansfield … More
BULLS HEAD, MARKET PLACE
Standing next door to the Green Dragon, the Bulls Head was to suffer a similar fate to the White Swan. … More
GREEN DRAGON, MARKET PLACE
Photo above: Taken from a John Flower sketch, circa1830. The Green Dragon is most possibly 15th century. ES research records … More
ROYAL GEORGE, LUKE STREET
There is one reference to a Royal George in Luke Street. (LJ) In August 1844, Joseph Gilbert, of the Royal … More
THE COTTAGE, 20 LUKE STREET
The Cottage pub stood on the opposite corner to the Weavers Arms. March 1833 informer Moses Pegg entered the Cottage … More
WEAVERS ARMS, 3O LUKE STREET
The Weavers Arms was a beerhouse from circa 1840 until 1885, when its licence wasn’t renewed. JR has in his … More
WANLIP INN, LOWER WILLOW STREET
This 1885 map depicts an area hardly recognisable today. Many pubs stood on corners and were often recorded by the … More
GOLDEN FLEECE – PRINCE OF PRUSSIA – GLADSTONE ARMS, 38 LOWER HILL STREET
In 1815 there is a record of a Golden Fleece in the area but it isn’t certain if it is … More
NEW INN, HOTEL BELGRAVE, 113 LOUGHBOROUGH ROAD
Photo above: Circa 1945 photo (John Zientack). (JR) records a John Spencer as victualler in circa 1837. Followed by Richard … More