Photo above: The Hare & Pheasant, taken by Eric Swift, shortly after its closure to become a Post Office, circa 1960.
Recorded in 1560, an article written in 1889 in Leicester Notes & Queries suggests that before the present Hare & Pheasant ‘stood an earlier one, of considerable architectural merit removed some time ago, a very interesting old inn.’
The Hare & Pheasant was rebuilt in 1890, as is shown when a licence was applied for on the new premises ‘partly built’ the old inn having been destroyed. The bench agreed that the new building looked to be an improvement and granted provisional licence until the next sessions.
Some early licensees; 1815 John Brewin, 1827 Henry Hitchcock, 1831 William Wragg, c1840 Elizabeth Brewin.
By June 1844, the landlady for many years Mrs Elizabeth Brewin. She usually retired some time after the servants went to bed. Around 1pm, the servants were alerted by her repeated calls, on going down stairs they found Mrs Brewin lying on the floor, screaming with her clothes being on fire. She was so seriously injured that she died later that day.

Husband, Thomas kept on at the pub for a further three years, before the Moore family took over.
William Moore was often before the magistrates, on many occasions the victim of theft or assault.
In August 1851, he was charged with keeping pigs on the premises as to be a nuisance to the neighbours. The bench ordered that Moore be only allowed to keep two pigs in open gardens in future.
Also in that year, earlier in June: Lodger commits suicide by opium poisoning.

1862 Ann & Mary Moore wee licensees. 1869 Arthur Archer, 1872 William Baker. Samuel Pegg was the owner.
1872, a fire at the rear of the Hare & Pheasant destroyed most of the stables and skittle alley, including lodging rooms above. It seems it was not covered by insurance. If that started a chain of dilapidation we can only surmise, we know by 1889 a new Hare & Pheasant building was on the way, this was to remain a pub for another 70 years before its final closure, circa 1960 .
1880 John Emerson licensee, c1881 Arthur Biggs, 1887 Joseph Peabody, 1888 James Sutcliffe, 1890 Charles Sands Smith, 1892 Harry Knight, 1894 Harry Thorpe, Owners or suppliers was briefly Brunt & Co Brewers, before Ind Coope owned the pub. c1896 James Crockett licensee, John Benjamin Stone 1906.


Jessie Jay licensee 1909, Peter James Connolly 1912. Thomas Pratt (since deceased) Estha Pratt 1920, Arthur Maine 1923. Frank Charles Chater 1926 Christoper Robert O’Brien also 1926. James Harold Cox 1928. Walter Ernest Kingdom 1933, Ernest Tyrrell 1935, Bernard Winfield 1936,
Advert in Leicester Evening Sept 1837 ‘ If your feeling tired after a hard days ‘graft’ come along and try our ‘draught’ at Hare & Pheasant High St, proprietor Captain Tom Morley. also another ad read ‘Of our beer we keep good ‘store’ Cos like Oliver Twist people always want ‘more’ and Though difficult times may lay ahead ‘lets drink and be merry so its said’ Throughout 1937-8 ads were placed with numerous varying ditties, we will end with ‘Captain Tom is a man of repute, That his beer is best you will never dispute’
William Collins licensee 1939, Norman Smethurst 1946. John Letts 1947, Alan Squance 1948, James Bowie 1951, William Howe 1953, Louis Smith 1956, closed and delicensed 1958, put up for sale by auction with vacant possession in June 1958. Although it was withdrawn from sale by the auctioneers as ‘a ridiculously low figure of £24,000′ was all it was bid’ Oddly an ad in Leices Mercury in November of 1958 was requiring barman or maids for the Hare & Pheasnt High St.? Eventually in Jan 1960 it was sold to an investment company to be used as retail.