Some records show an unnamed beerhouse, circa 1870s-1900s at no. 17 on the opposite corner to Windsor Castle. George and … More
Category: Closed Pubs
WINDSOR CASTLE, 15 MILL LANE
The Windsor Castle was opened during the 1840s. Jeremiah Herbert purchased some land in and around Grange Lane during 1841, … More
SWAN MILL LANE TAVERN, MILL LANE
Often numbered 1f or 1g, Mill Lane. The Mill Lane Tavern was built in 1867 as an auction notice of … More
DUKE OF EDINBURGH, 1B MILL LANE
The Mill Lane addresses go down from Fairfax St: 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, 1e, to 1f – the Mill Lane … More
JOINERS ARMS, 2 MIDLAND STREET
John Pole was licensee in 1846. In 1851, Wilson Mortimer, age twenty-seven, is recorded as a publican in Midland Street, … More
OLD KINGS ARMS – WHITE HART – OLD WHITE HART, 24 METCALF STREET
Not to be confused with the White Hart on the corner of the next street – Eaton Street/Wharf Street, as … More
BIRD IN THE HAND, METCALF STREET
1834 Wm Watts (licensee?) charged John Baum with assualt in the Bird in Hand Metcalf St, claiming Baum had a … More
ORIGINAL BREWERING CO, MERIDIAN PARK COMPLEX
Micro brew pub opened in June 1995 – a concept rolled out by Bass together with a chain of another … More
MELVILLE ARMS, MELVILLE STREET
Photo above: Circa 1930s. The flags are out, a royal celebration of some kind outside the Melville Arms Sometimes the … More
HERALD OF PEACE – OWL & PUSSYCAT, MELTON ROAD
Opened in June 1959, with a licence from the Joiners Arms, Highcross Street. It ran for many years by the … More