Photo above of a rat pit, 1869 Billson’s Medieval Leicester, records the Beehive as “an old Inn near the West…
STAGS HEAD, 1 Augustine Friars
Photo above of map of Augustine Friars st. 1847 Thomas Fall, licensee 1849 The Directory has John Neal as victualler…
BRITISH ARMS, 83 Asylum St.
Photo above, c1967 (Jack Graves) 1860-1967 Full licence granted 1860. James Smith (tenant) kept the British Arms during the early…
ROYAL LANCER, 47 Asylum St.
Named after the nearby barracks, in 1841 Royal Lancers was auctioned off with a rent of £26 per year. William…
LEICESTER GATEWAY – THE FONT – THE GATE, Asylum St. Renamed Gateway St.
Opened January 2000, by pub group Tynemill in Old Hosiery factory. Over a thousand entries, from a competition set by…
EARLY GREY, 26 ASHWELL STREET
Named after Charles, 2nd Earl Grey who was Prime Minister 1830-34, he died in 1845, the pub opening shortly after.…
LANCASTRIAN CASTLE, Arthur St.
27 Arthur St, corner of Burton St. Lancastrian Castle (photo above), far left, brewed its own ale in Victorian era;…
IVY PLANT – CARNIVAL, 1 Arnold St/Curzan St.
The pub was situated on the corner of Arnold St and Curzan St, (now called Madras Road). In 1879, it…
MARQUIS OF LORNE, 181 Argyle St.
Photo above, thought to be the Marquis of Lorne (Vanished Leicester, Dennis Calow) Briefly served as beer house, George Cooper…
DUKE OF ARGYLE, 103 Argyle St.
Picture credit: Dennis Calow. This the corner of Argyle St. Allington St. The Duke of Argyle was located on the…