Built to replace the Dixie Arms in St Peters Lane that was demolished in 1966. Landlord John Dores changed name to … More
Category: Closed Pubs
THE UPPINGHAM, 1 UPPINGHAM ROAD
Purchased by LBM from Orson Wright in May 1900, with land, and a tenement formally known as the Uppingham Road … More
HOGANS BAR, UPPINGHAM ROAD
Photo above: circa 2005. At one time there were four ‘Hogans Bars’ in Leicester, one in Queens Road, Narborough Road, … More
STAR & GARTER, KING & CROWN, 37 TOWN HALL LANE
The first known recording was of James Jarrett having the Star & Garter for sale in March 1810. Jarrett … More
CROWN & THISTLE, TOWN HALL LANE (GUILD HALL LANE)
Photo above: The Crown & Thistle, circa 1826, opposite the Town Hall (Guildhall), with hanging sign. Taken from a John … More
HERO OF MAGDALA, 29 TOWN HALL LANE (GUILD LANE)
Guildhall Lane was known as Town Hall Lane in the late 19th century as the present Guildhall was once used … More
LORD LYON, 7 THURCASTON ROAD
Photo above: Lord Lyon, early 1900s – family with pram passing by. The Talbot can be seen with cart outside. … More
WHITE BEAR, 28 THORNTON LANE
First known reference was in 1754, when the White Bear was mentioned in election expenses for that particular year. A … More
UNION INN, THAMES STREET
One Mr Horton kept the Union Inn in Thames Street – as in February 1835 he was charged by informer … More
GREYHOUND, 51 THAMES STREET
Greyhound was a beerhouse which stood in 51 Thames Street. In April 1836, the Leicester Herald listed the Greyhound as … More