Photo credit above: Chris Pyrah. Part of the Saffron Lane Estate, the Tiger was built in 1955 by Everards Brewery. … More
Category: Closed Pubs
ROCKET – COACH & HORSES, STEPHENSONS DRIVE
Photo above: The Rocket getting ready for the opening in March 1959. The pub was aptly named Rocket on Stephenson’s … More
UNCLE TOM’S CABIN, STANLEY STREET
Uncle Tom’s Cabin was up for auction in February 1854: FOR AUCTION February 1854 IN STANLEY STREET HUMBERSTONE RD. All … More
STANLEY ARMS, 36 STANLEY STREET
Photo above: Late 1950s photography of the Stanley Arms – an image of more sedate cobbled streets. The pub was … More
BELGRAVIA HOTEL, 34 SPINNEY HILL ROAD
Circa 1875 the Belgravia stood on the corner of Spinney Hill Roadd and Charnwood Sreett. Early directories from 1875-90 lists … More
SYCAMORE TREE, 26 SYCAMORE LANE
The first record of the Sycamore Tree is in February 1838, when an auction ad read: ‘House called the Old … More
NEW INN, SOUTHGATE STREET
Recorded sometime as Highcross Street. In 1746, it was first recorded in Recognizance orders. JR lists Joseph Follett as victualler. … More
TURKS HEAD, SOUTHGATE STREET
A Turks Head was recorded in 1726 recognisance orders. In 1751, John Stanley was accused of assault in the Turks … More
STAR, SOUTHGATE STREET
There was a record of a Star in the 1745 recognisance records. No other information is known about this establishment … More
UNICORN, SOUTHGATE STREET
There is no other record of a Unicorn apart from a 1742 recognisance orders. The Pub History Project has a … More