Skip to content

Pub History Project – Leicester

History and Beer

  • About Pub History Project
  • Pub List
  • Contact
  • Street List
  • Ale Houses & Taverns of Leicester by Barry Lount

Category: Closed Pubs

FOX & CROWN – WHITE BEAR – LORD RANCLIFFE, 33 REDCROSS STREET

 Photo above shows the Lord Rancliffe,  circa 1960 with landlord Walter Lenton in doorway. A map of Redcross Street (see … More

Redcross St.

GOLDEN AGE – RAMSEY WAY (NETHERHALL ESTATE)

Photo above: Pictured on its opening in 1960. The Netherhall Estate, like Thurnby Lodge, was built 1950-55 to rehouse inner … More

demolished pubs, Ramsey Way

NAPIER – GLADSTONE ARMS, 38 RAGLAN STREET

Photo credit above: J. Zienteck The Gladstone Arms was originally called the Napier when a new licence was granted to … More

demolished pubs, Raglan St.

HOGANS BAR – OLIVES, QUEENS ROAD

Hogans Bar – one of four or five Hogans to open in Leicester around the late 1990s.  This was on … More

Queens Rd.

FRANKLINS BAR (MUZZY’S BAR), 80 QUEENS ROAD

Franklin’s Bar, June 2002.   (Photo above), customer in doorway giving the Churchillian salute. Muzzy’s Bar was named after Muzzy … More

Queens Rd.

WY BAR, 56 QUEENS ROAD

Next door to Barceleneta, Wy Bar opened sometime in 2004.  It didn’t really set the place alight and soon closed … More

Queens Rd.

BAKERS ARMS, 39 QUEEN STREET (EAST SHORT STREET)

(Photo above), The Bakers Arms, shows the pub sign on corner East Short Street. Baker, Thomas Platt obtained a beer … More

Queen St.

MIDLAND COUNTIES RAILWAY INN – ENGINE HOTEL, 12 QUEEN ST.

Built as the Midland Counties Railway Inn, circa 1840 and named after the railway company. In 1842, the victualler was … More

Queen St.

DRY DOCK, PUTNEY ROAD EAST

Bass Brewery lowered a fifty ton barge on a plot on Putney Road, just off Welford Road, and opposite the … More

demolished pubs, Putney Rd.

HEN & CHICKENS – STAG & HOUNDS, PROVIDENCE PLACE

Known by locals as the ‘Chicks’ right up to its closure.  Earliest known record is an 1828 auction of household … More

Providence Place

Posts navigation

Older posts
Newer posts

All text on this site is under copyright of the Pub History Project Leicester website unless stated otherwise.  Anyone is welcome to share and use but please provide acknowledgement and link back to the site.  Thank you.

Recent Posts

  • LIGHT HUSSAR, 144 STOUGHTON STREET
  • LIME KILN, PAINTER STREET/BELGRAVE GATE
  • 17 ACRES SPORTS GROUND, THURCASTON ROAD

Archives

Categories

  • Closed Pubs
  • Existing Pubs
  • Uncategorized

Meta

  • Log in
  • Entries feed
  • Comments feed
  • WordPress.org
Privacy & Cookies: This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use.

To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Visit us on Facebook:

Visit us on Facebook:

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Translate

Follow Us

  • X

Follow Us

  • Instagram
Proudly powered by WordPress
Theme: Rebalance by WordPress.com.