In 1884 Joseph Hill was charged with selling milk during closing time. On his promise not to re-offend he was … More
Category: Closed Pubs
CLOWES ARMS, PORTSMOUTH Rd (EX PORTLAND STREET, OFF LOUGHBOROUGH ROAD)
First known record was 1875, when Joseph Cooper transferred the licence of the Clowes Arms (named after Samuel Clowes, Leicester … More
PORTOBELLO, 15 PORTER STREET
Frederick Tebbutt transferred his licence to John Thomas Woodcock in December 1880. David Dale was there in 1883 right through … More
BRICKLAYERS ARMS, 2 PERCY STREET
This would have been built at same time as the Duke of Bedford. The first record to date was January … More
DUKE OF BEDFORD, 1 PERCY STREET/BEDFORD STREET
Stood on corner Percy Street & Bedford Street, with the Bricklayers Arms on the opposite corner. The beer house opened … More
GEORGE & DRAGON, 25 PEEL STREET
Earliest recording known of the pub is in 1853 when Josephs Moore and Waterfield advertised that they were starting their … More
RAILWAY WAGON, PEEL STREET
October 1846 is the earliest record of the Railway Wagon – a sale notice of nine dwelling houses in Baker … More
SHIPLEY BOAT – HEANOR BOAT, PASTURE LANE (LOWER CHURCH GATE)
The Shipley Boat can be found circa 1815 with an address of Shipley Wharf, a newspaper report in June 1824 … More
PALMERSTON ARMS, 75 PALMERSTON STREET
Photo above circa 1946 (J. Zienteck). Stood on corner of Denmark Street/sometime given as 83 Taylor St in the … More
SOLDIERS RETURN, OXFORD STREET
Chris Pyrah records a Soldiers Return in his research and was located in Horsepool (Oxford Street) in 1815. There is … More